Founded in 1917 it is the first, largest and most prestigious private university of Peru.
PUCP opened as Universidad Catolica del Peru with only two facultades in 1917: Letras and Derecho. In 1933 two new facultades were established: Ingenieria and Ciencias Enconomico-Politicas. In 1935, the program of Educacion was founded. Five years later, in 1940, the Academia de Arte Catolico (facultad de arte since 1984) was inaugurated making PUCP one of the few universities to offer Art as a major in Peru. Although a secular university, it received in 1967 the honorific title of Pontificia from the Pope Pius XII.
Currently, la Cato (as we call it) is a top-quality university and one of the finest universities in South America with approximately 17,000 students (undergraduates, graduates and international).
PUCP has wireless internet access all over campus and classes can be monitored via PUCP portal where students can check their grades, request doctor’s appointments and many more services. This makes the transition from US universities easier as they can also use PUCP’s library’s online catalogue and use web engines such as JSTOR.
PUCP’s 90 acre-campus has 312 classrooms, 11 libraries, 62 laboratories, 8 cafeterias, 3 museums, 3 auditoriums, sports facilities, a chapel, and archeological ruins